School Details - Hampstead
Founded in 1977, the school is a well-established and highly-reputed English language school in London. Their students enjoy excellent levels of care and attention from a friendly team of highly committed and dedicated staff to help you maximise your progress.
The school is perfectly located between the wealthy residential areas of Hampstead, one of London's best-preserved old villages, and West Hampstead, with its beautiful high street full of cafes, shops, and restaurants. It is also within walking distance of Hampstead Heath, one of London's largest and most ancient parks.
CELTA is a pre-service course giving you a thorough grounding in all aspects of teaching the English language to adults. One of the most widely taken qualifications of its kind, thousands of people each year choose CELTA to open up a world of exciting English language teaching opportunities. Part of the University of Cambridge and validated by Cambridge English Language Assessment, the Cambridge CELTA course is recognised and accepted by teaching institutions worldwide.
You will cover five main topics as part of your CELTA course, including:
- learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- language analysis and awareness
- language skills: reading, listening, speaking, and writing
- planning and resources for different teaching contexts
- developing teaching skills and professionalism
Throughout the course you will also attend a variety of sessions and workshops that cover:
- classroom management skills
- lesson planning
- understanding the contexts within which adults learn English
- understanding students' motivations, and the roles of both the teacher and the learner
- language analysis
- teaching methodology, ideas, and techniques applicable to ESOL/EFL teaching
- Be at least 18 (it is generally recommended that candidates should be aged 20 or over, but candidates aged between 18 and 20 can be accepted at the centre's discretion)
- Have an awareness of language and a competence in both written and spoken English, which will enable them to undertake the course and prepare for teaching a range of levels (C2 on the CEFR)
- Have the potential to develop the necessary skills to become effective teachers and to complete successfully the written assignments and the assessment of practical teaching
Successful applicants have the option to arrange their own accommodation, or have accommodation arranged by the school.
Special package offer: Also available: CELTA course and accommodation in studio flat £2,199!
The above fees include the full fees of the CELTA course plus 4 weeks of accommodation and is subject to availability.
Monday to Friday, 10.00 - 17.30
Help for Jobs
CELTA is an internationally-recognised teaching qualification that is trusted by schools and organisations across the globe. Some employers, particularly in Asia, will only employ you to teach English if you hold a CELTA qualification.
Holding a CELTA qualification will put you in a better position for negotiating salary, because it is so highly regarded. It gives you the chance to develop and practise teaching from the moment you start the course to the day you finish. The course is intensive and rewarding, including invaluable feedback from teachers that will help you to develop your skills.
The CELTA course includes a session on Future opportunities: A career in EFL. The session takes place at the end of the course and aims to provide guidance on how to look for a job. Interview format as well as possible questions are also discussed in order to further clarify the process of job seeking.
In addition, trainees are given details of vacancies that may be going at the time and directed to take a closer look at the jobs board in the training room. The school has regular contact with various recruitment agencies and schools worldwide and whenever details of jobs are passed on to us they are posted on the jobs board.
How to Apply
1. Choose the start date which interests you. If you’re still unsure, please choose an approximate date for now – you will be able to specify later.
2. Register your details with Cactus TEFL (1 minute) to help us track your application.
3. Download the application form and save it on your computer.
4. Complete it offline in your own time
5. Go back to www.cactustefl.com, sign in and submit your completed form.
You can also submit an application by email. We will explain how to do this on the application form. Please contact us if you have any problems with the application procedure.