Las Palmas, Gran Canaria
Prices and Dates
Course ref: 6749
Course Type: Cambridge CELTA
Location: Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, Spain
Min Age: 18
Maximum Class Size: 12
Class Times: A four week intensive course. Starting at 9.30 and finishing at 5.30 from Mon - Fri.
School Details - Las Palmas, Gran Canaria
The academy is located in the centre of Las Palmas which is the capital of Gran Canaria. It is only 4 minutes walk from the main bus terminal therefore it is easily accessible from many different locations. The average winter temperature is Gran Canaria is 22°C and it never goes below 19°C. Las Palmas is a large city with a vibrant nightlife with plenty of amenities and it has excellent sporting facilities from surfing to athletics. The cost of living in the Canary Islands is more economical than in mainland Spain.
The school has a very relaxed atmosphere with tutors and staff always on hand to help applicants with any queries or problems that they may have. There is plenty of material to aid the students who are taking part in the course and amenities to make the work easier. There are computers (although it is advisable to bring your own), a printers and a photocopier for all applicants to avail of.
Facilities include Computers, Printers, Library, Photocopier, Rest area. There are several bars and restaurants beside the academy.
The one month intensive Cambridge CELTA course provides an initial training for those new to the profession and also for those teachers with experience but with little formal training. The course is designed to enable candidates to:
- Develop an awareness of language and a knowledge of the description of English and apply these in professional practice.
- Develop an initial understanding of the contexts within which adults learn English, their motivations and the roles of the teacher and the learner.
- Develop familiarity with the principles and practice of effective teaching to adult learners of English.
- Develop basic skills for teaching adults in the language classroom.
-Develop familiarity with appropriate resources and materials for use with adult learners of English for teaching, testing and referencing.
Identify opportunities for their own future development in the field.
It is a very practical course, which combines both input and teaching practice.
9.30 - 11.30: Teaching practice
11.45 - 1.30: Feedback and GLP
2.30 - 3.45: 2. Language awareness 4: Conditionals (LA)
4.00 - 5.30: 2. Grammar workshop: Presenting new language and focus on MFP
Notes: Observations of experienced teacher.
Rooms are available with Spanish families or we can help you to find an apartment. With host families, half board (breakfast and dinner) is 500 EUR per month. It is important to bear in mind that most Spanish families sit down to dinner later than us, around nine o'clock.
Las Palmas has several hostels which cater for tourists on short stays and there are also several hotels located near the academy. A single room with a shared bathroom in a hostel starts at approx. 360 EUR (room only) per month.
A four week intensive course. Starting at 9.30 and finishing at 5.30 from Mon - Fri.
Help for Jobs
Once the CELTA course is completed, trainees with be fully qualified to teach English in almost any location. We try to steer trainees in the right directions so that they can find employment and with the contacts made through the academy we believe that our trainees will be successful in obtaining employment. There are also a lot of language academies and schools in the surrounding areas, most of whom would recruit candidates.
How to Apply
1. Choose the start date which interests you. If you’re still unsure, please choose an approximate date for now – you will be able to specify later.
2. Register your details with Cactus TEFL (1 minute) to help us track your application.
3. Download the application form and save it on your computer.
4. Complete it offline in your own time
5. Go back to www.cactustefl.com, sign in and submit your completed form.
You can also submit an application by email. We will explain how to do this on the application form. Please contact us if you have any problems with the application procedure.