School Details - Christchurch
Although the centre is located on the campus of its partner university, it operates as a private language school. Its modern facilities include a language laboratory, self-study centre, and computer room with access to free email.
The staff are highly qualified and experienced trainers and assessors for both the Certificate and Diploma courses for the Cambridge Integrated Language Teaching schemes.
The Cambridge CELTA is as an entry level qualification, enabling successful candidates to teach English to adults. There will be input sessions, lesson planning and research, teaching practice on classes of adult students, feedback, observation of experienced teachers, and assignments. The maximum number of candidates on a course is 12, with a minimum of 2 course tutors. It is a very intensive course and the focus is on acquiring basic techniques in a supportive environment.
Most people who do a CELTA course are:
- planning on teaching during their overseas travels
- looking for a new career
- teaching but don't have a formal qualification
- looking for professional development
There are five main units of learning:
- Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- Language analysis and awareness
- Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Planning and resources for different contexts
- Developing teaching skills and professionalism.
You will be assessed throughout the course, with no final examination. An external assessor, appointed by Cambridge ESOL, moderates each course. There are two components of assessment:
1. Teaching practice
You will be assessed teaching for a total of six hours, working with classes at two levels of ability. Assessment is based on your overall performance at the end of the six hours.
2. Written assignments
You will complete four written assignments: one focusing on adult learning; one on the language system of English; one on language skills; and one on classroom teaching.
To be eligible to apply you should
- have a standard of education equivalent to that required for entry into higher education
- be aged 18 or over
- have a standard of English which will enable you to teach at a range of levels
The school can help to arrange homestay or modern dormitory accommodation if required.
This is available either within the walking zone or within the bus zone. During the week, two meals are provided each day, and three at the weekends. Cost is $266NZ per week. There is a placement fee of $200NZ for the walking zone, and $150NZ for the bus zone.
Within 5-8 minutes walk from the school is the University of Canterbury Student residence self-catered apartments. Cost is from $260NZ per week + $200NZ placement fee (+$85NZ linen fee). Subject to availability.
Monday to Friday 9.00am - 5.30pm. Please note that where there are public holidays during a course, start and finish days may vary.
Help for Jobs
Although the school doesn't have an official placement service, they offer all successful candidates some part time teaching work upon completion of their course. This is usually teaching monolingual study groups, which gives you yet another teaching experience as your teaching practice classes on the course are from a wide range of language backgrounds.
During the CELTA course they offer 1-2 sessions relating to professional development and looking for work. They can give you information about the industry in New Zealand at the time, as well as how to go about looking for work in other countries. The course tutors are well connected to schools in other countries, and as an established teacher training centre they are regularly approached by both local and global employers wanting to recruit successful candidates.
How to Apply
1. Choose the start date which interests you. If you’re still unsure, please choose an approximate date for now – you will be able to specify later.
2. Register your details with Cactus TEFL (1 minute) to help us track your application.
3. Download the application form and save it on your computer.
4. Complete it offline in your own time
5. Go back to www.cactustefl.com, sign in and submit your completed form.
You can also submit an application by email. We will explain how to do this on the application form. Please contact us if you have any problems with the application procedure.